A couple days ago, I was really excited to finish a new feature for a pro bono iOS app I was working on, but there was just one piece missing. It was a piece I was dreading, so I left it off until the end. I knew there was a “proper” way of implementing it, but it would’ve taken more time. So, I just took a shortcut and went another way.
I told myself, “In theory, this will work!”
Then, I sent it out.
It didn’t work.
I had to rewrite it from scratch. It didn’t take much longer than the first try, and I learned some new things about iOS networking. But that shortcut ended up costing more time than it saved. I should’ve known not to trust it. And, now, I do.