A hands-on learning opportunity with real world results.
The SfG Intern Cohort is a software internship program designed to mutually benefit up-and-coming software engineers and for-good organizations. Our mission is two-fold:
1. Offer mentorship, training, and hands-on experience to students and recent graduates interested in pursuing a technology or software development career
2. Provide low-cost software development services to nonprofits, startups, and other organizations that are using technology to achieve positive social and environmental change
We’re looking for skill, curiosity, and passion (not necessarily in that order).
The cohort will consist of three to five interns, ideally with a range of complementary skills and interests. We welcome your application if you are working on and eager to learn more about any of the following:
• Back-end development (Ruby, Rails, Python, or similar)
• User experience (UX) or user interface (UI) design
As part of the cohort, you will work closely with the other members of your team, a dedicated Software for Good mentor, and the client organization to build, test, and deliver working software. During this internship, you can expect to learn about/use:
• Development best practices, including code reviews and testing
• Pair programming
• Account management and client communication
• Agile workflows
• User experience design
• Github, Asana, Slack, and other tools of the trade
The software internship will conclude with a final presentation to your client and the broader Software for Good team.
What’s the commitment?
Summer cohort members are expected to work 30-40 hours per week, with the vast majority of that time spent in the office working together with fellow interns and SfG staff.
You will need to secure your own housing and provide your own transportation. Software for Good will provide access to and help getting set up with necessary tools, programs, and software. Don’t worry: we understand the demands of a student’s schedule and will make allowances for exam weeks and school breaks.
Here’s what you can expect from us in return:
• The chance to do work that makes a difference
• Mentorship, training, and hands-on experience
• Course credits plus hourly compensation
• Fun, flexible work environment (no business casual dress code)
• Monday team lunches and snacks to keep you fueled
Sound like a good fit?
We hire a new cohort of interns every summer. The internship application is posted on this page year-round, and we accept applications on a rolling basis. Applications are due by March 1 at 11:59 pm for the following summer cohort. You must submit your application on or before March 1 in order to be considered as an applicant for this summer’s cohort. Note: Applications are now open for summer 2020.
For each summer cohort, the first day of work will be the first Monday in June. The internship will then run for 12 weeks, starting with that first week of June.
If this sounds like it would work for you, please fill out the application below. And good luck!